Town of Farmington is located in Waupaca County. Waupaca County was established February 17, 1851 by an act of legislature. It consists of 759 sq. miles and 22 townships. It has six villages and six cities. the county seat is in Waupaca. Town of Farmington has a population of 4009, with 77.40 miles of town roads.
In 1853 the County Board organized the Township of Farmington. The first town meeting was held in the home of John Fisher, the first Tuesday in April 1854. Granville Jones was elected Chairman, Merrill Barton and C.O. Brown Supervisors, Francis Beardmore was Clerk and C.O. Brown was Treasurer.
Ambrose Gard made the first settlement in 1849. Roswell Hicks and Granville Jones made their claim that fall and built the first log house. C.O. Brown, a native of Sweden, came in 1850 but returned to New York to get some of his countrymen to come west. About fifty people came with him and most of them settled in the Northeast part of the town. Mr Leonard built the first saw mill in what is now called Cobbtown. The first Post Office was started in 1851 with W.H. Cipperly as postmaster. The chief products were corn, oats, rye, barley, buckwheat, potatoes, hops and wool. In 1921 there was still a hop house standing near what is now Hartman Creek. Started in 1887 the Veterans Home at King was the first home in the U.S. where a widow or wife of a Civil War Veteran could be cared for by the state.
The Chain O Lakes has 22 connected bodies of water. They are called the "Killarney's of America". Loyola Villa is located on a peninsula between Rainbow and Otter Lake. It was established in 1896 as a summer haven for the professors of the Jesuit College. It was sold in 1970. On the south shores of Rainbow Lake is the site of the once famous Grand view Hotel. It was built in 1886 by Chris Hill and Sam C. Nessling. The grounds had a saloon with its own slot machines and dance hall. It was considered one of the best resort areas in the nation. In the late 1920's, this once popular resort was torn down. Mound Grove is on the northeast shore of Taylor Lake. It consists of the finest group of Indian mounds in the state. One of these is 170 feet in length and supposed to represent a fish. This mound is unique in that it is the only one of its kind known to the archaeologists of the U.S.